The development of each student’s maximum potential is dependent on many factors, some of which are beyond the scope of Moat House. However, if a student is to reach the highest possible level of attainment, a personalised learning programme which considers their starting point and their individual needs is essential.
We aim to encourage students to take full advantage of the educational opportunities offered at Moat House and to enjoy their learning. Many students who are referred to Moat House are vulnerable for many reasons. These may include: un-planned pregnancy; parental separation and subsequent re-constitution of the family; bereavement; physical or mental health issues; social, emotional and behavioural difficulties; special educational needs; permanent exclusion from school; Cared for Children; Child Protection matters. Our intent is that our students leave Moat House better prepared for the work place or the learning environment, where they will continue their education, and to ensure that they have the skills and confidence to make further progress and reach their potential.
Our Lifeskills, cookery and Advice, Information and Guidance lessons equip students for independent living, and as a young parent where relevant, and also support them to enable access to multi agency support services which are available locally.
We aim to:
- Provide a learning environment which is happy, welcoming and safe yet challenging and stimulating for students, staff and babies alike
- Support and care for students, babies and staff so that they are able to enjoy their work and look forward to coming to school
- Develop knowledge and skills necessary to enable students to lead healthy, fulfilling and independent lives
- Ensure that students leave Moat House with qualifications and skills which will prepare them for further education, employment or training
- Respect and value the many differences between individuals and believe that everyone has unique talents, skills and potential which should be encouraged, developed and celebrated
- Involve parents and carers, other agencies and the wider community in the work of Moat House
- Deliver a range of learning experiences which will encourage confidence, self-worth and self belief
- Provide an environment in which literacy is a priority, allowing students to develop a range of reading and writing skills, and acquire and build a broader vocabulary
Encourage an atmosphere in which all are supportive of each other and work cooperatively
Expectations of Learners
The Headteacher as part of the referral interview meets with the student to emphasise the expectations of learners. These are to: